Unlike planing permission, Building Regulations must be complied with when turning your loft into living space.
Buidling regulations are required for the following:
- To ensure the structural strength of the loft floor is sufficient
- To ensure the stability of the structure is not compromised
- To ensure there is a safe way to escape from fire
- To ensure that new stairs are safe
- To ensure that reasonable sound insulation is included
In addition, if you are doing any work that affects a party wall (a dividing wall shared with neighbours) there may be additional obligations under the Party Wall Act 1996
A specialist loft conversion company will be able to advise on all aspects of building regulations. Alternatively, if you hire an architect (for a more involved bespoke conversion), they will be able to advise.
Improtant note: Always make sure you get a signed off completion certiifcate once completed, as this may be needed if you ever need to sell your property in furutre.